Monday, May 16, 2005

We're in Bangalore

And so we finally made the journey. It went quite smooth, the kids were almost angelic throughout. Singapore Airlines food was terrible until we hit Singapore. Then it got really good. Service was great as usual, except the HKG-SIN leg - they refused to turn off the video on the huge screen in front of us, and the twins (in the basinettes) were getting really distracted by it.

The last few days were crazy. Despite the months of planning, the last few days were really hectic. D's brother, sister, cousin and families visited to give us a grand farewell. I was able to offload a lot of my stuff to Chaitra - she was a little pissed at how much:)

Shobitha, Datta, Poonam and Nachi came to the airport. D and I were really touched by the farewell gestures and parties - D remarked that he was so busy he could not say goodbye properly to everyone. I got misty eyed when saying goodbye to Keshav (D's brother) - somehow, he (and Sahana in the last 3 years) has been with us for every ocassion, has visited us frequently - he's been a really good "kid" brother to D. I think we'll miss our friends and siblings the most - Except for my brother, the rest are in US currently.

Everyone has been asking what my feelings are right now. Actually I don't really have any. I think the whole move will sink in in a couple of weeks or so..

Bangalore is HOT. I don't remember it being this hot when I lived here - I may be wrong.. As always, when we land in any airport in India, I'm struck by the vast difference in maintanence. Singapore and Bangalore airports - no comparison!

We were treated really well at immigration - someone pulled us out of the queue and sent us ahead, so we were out in minutes. We have a lot of bags - 10 check in, and 6 carryon. $60 did wonders to get some porters to help us. My dad was aghast that D gave them so much money..

Its 4:51 in the morning right now. Kids are asleep (except Arjun - he's been feeling gassy for a few days now). D just remembered that we have not cancelled our Valley Times subscription. During the journey Anirudh asked once if we can go back home to Pleasanton. Not so easy now!

The local mosque just started his "Allah..." cry. Sounds of India..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home