Monday, July 25, 2005

Random musings

Anirudh dressed up as Krishna for a Fancy dress party at school - he was one of three Krishnas, but the cutest and most authentic, methinks:) The Fancy Dress party was a marketing event by MetLife (the insurance company) masquerading as a school event. The American marketing machine has moved to India with a vengeance. Several kids were decked out in hired costumes and dripping with makeup - parents going overboard! Digital cameras and diamonds were common at the event, and I felt quite plain in my blue salwar kameez.. an NRI mom was declaring her status with her bright and tight BANANA REPUBLIC t-shirt and Target accessories. Wonder why I never thought of that ;)??

Its raining cats and dogs here right now, and I'm coming across the first set of stuff I should have got from the US and did not - good quality raincoats for the kids. Anyone reading this, you know what to get for us when you come next on that three-weeker to India.

We've decided on Seimens for our washer, dryer and fridge. They're relatively new to India but we've decided to trust German engineering. Most people here think a dryer is not necessary, but the half-dry clothes decked across my in-laws' bannister for days now say otherwise. After all, people in Phoenix use dryers don't they??

D and I talk frequently about our "dream house" that we'll build one of these days. One thing we'll definitely have is "dry" bathrooms. We'll be walking around in wet bathrooms in our rented house for now, but will keep dreaming of that dry bathroom in the dream house :D

The Post Select Cranberry/Blueberry etc. cereal is available here! But the price is a cool 260 rs a carton. I used to stockk up on this when it was on sale (2 for $5) at Safeway once in 2 months - somehow 260 rs is too much I think. Right now am enjoying idli, dosa etc prepared by my MIL but will have to settle for Kellogs Cornflakes (Rs. 90 for smallish carton) once we're on our own.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog - you are honest about things. You could do with more patience - after all, India and US is no comparison - Quality of life is poles-apart, and I think it will remain so for some time to come...

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Paddy said...

Thanks Shashi for your comments and suggestions. The book idea is a good one.

Thanks Anonymous also. Patience has never been one of my virtues. Besides I think comparisons are inevitable. I'll probably defend all of India's warts to the death if anyone tries to criticize but thought I'll jot down some "unvarnished" thoughts in my blog when they're fresh. Catch me in a few months, and many memories of the US will have begun to fade..

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger edoRaye said...

Hi Paddy
I returned to Singapore mid last year after having spent 5 years in the US. Like you, readjusting to home means dealing wet bathrooms, hanging out laundry to dry, trying different brands, etc. I found blogging very therapeutic as I restart my life in another location.
Well, that was a year ago. I've just returned to the US; I got married :P. So I'm starting another blog for life in yet another place. Blogging helps me adjust. I hope it does the same for you too.
Let's keep on blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home