Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Settling in

Its been a while since I "blogged". We are in Hyderabad now, and the
internet connection in my inlaws place is dialup. When it rains, the
line gets bad and right now the speed is 4800 bps. Not very conducive to getting on the net!

We are slowly getting settled here. One big achievement is that
Anirudh started school. We decided to stay away (at least for now)
from the big bucks international and public schools and admitted him
to a local montessori school. It is run in a huge old house by two
sisters and is called Bhavishya. There are 36 students. He is enjoying
it so far.

The handsome twins are getting bigger and naughtier. They eat solids
twice a day now and by breastfeeding is slowing tapering off. I have
switched them to a local formula (Nan 2 by Nestle) and they seem to be
thriving on it.

The biggest frustration so far has been that we have not found a house
to rent. I suspect our in-laws think we are being too picky, but
Deepak and I are determined to find a nice place. We want an
independent house, close to where my inlaws live. It looks like all
the new construction with "American style" amenities is on the other
side of town, which will mean a horrendous commute for Deepak. So we
are trying to look around here (Secunderabad) itself.

Deepak is enjoying working with his Dad. He is ordering broadband in
all the factories, getting new furniture for himself, asking various
flunkies to prepare Excel spreadsheets about production estimates etc.
He's having a ball ;) I'm quite busy with the babies etc. We have not
found anyone yet to help with them too..

One thing, though. Daily life in India is getting harder.. traffic is
just horrendous, and the whole city (whether Blore or Hyd) looks like
a giant garbage dump. Civic amenities are breaking down left and
right. In that way, India is definitely a "hardship posting" as Deepak
says. Most people cannot believe we came back for good, they think we
both got laid off or something over there. I also got lectures from
most of my aunts and uncles and my grandma about how I should be a
good daughter-in-law and stay with in-laws (ie not look for another
house ;))

Our container is not here yet, which Anirudh cribs about everyday. BTW
Anirudh speaks very good Kannada now, and is eating most Indian food
very well..

1 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Abhi said...

Hi. My name is Abhirami Venkatesh and I came across you blog while searching on Google for "bhavishya Montessori school." I stay in Hyderabad and I am presently working for Google Online India.

My friend's been hunting for a good school for her son. He's 2 years old and we were actually discussing about Bhavishya a few days back. We would like to do a bit of "spadework" before we approach teh school for admissions. Could you please provide us a few details about Bhavishya, the environment, facilities and all other GTK stuff u know??? I'm sorry if I am bothering u but we wud really happy to hear from u.

U can send me an e-mail at abhivenkat@gmail.com.

thanks
Abhirami Venkatesh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home