Saturday, February 18, 2006

This will be my last post under the "return to India" blog. I feel I have nothing new to add anymore on this topic.

I'm going to address two questions that I've been perpetually asked over the last few months, in person, over email and in a couple of comments as well:

1) Ideally, where would I like to live?

Given enough money, both places (and many others too) :D

First of all, I think there is no "ideal" set in stone for me. The "ideal" perfect life changes with time. I spent my 20s in the US, and for that "era" I think it was ideal. I studied, lived and worked there, did some travel, made some money etc. I could definitely have done a whole lot more, but am quite happy looking back. Not many regrets..

Right now, with small kids, with D exploring a new career path I think living in India is close to ideal for our family - we're closer to family, we can afford for me to stay home, and don't have to worry about job security. Of course, there are days when I roundly regret ever coming back, and I'm not sure personally that this whole "stay at home" break will be good for my career at all.

Some people also turn this whole debate into a India vs. US thing - if you move back, you're anti-US and if you stay, you're ignoring parents in their old age, etc etc. I really don't agree. Although I got my US citizenship reluctantly (D pushed me into it), I now like the fact that I still have links to that country. D and I both hope to continue to travel there, and maintain our contacts there. If all our kids move there to go to University, I'm going to work in a Starbucks and finish out my 40 credits to qualify for social security :)

2) Would I recommend the move to others?

Yes, with some reservations.

Moving is painful for anyone, whether to another city or country. Its doubly difficult with young kids, and both spouses changing careers. You would think moving back home is a no-brainer, but the actual process is very challenging. I read somewhere that once you travel abroad you can never really return home. That is true. People change, plus our image of how things are "back home" is different from reality. India has changed tremendously, but has (sadly) remained the same in many ways.

For someone considering a similar move, I would say, make it as informed a move as possible. Consider make a trial move of 6 months if at all possible. Don't make assumptions about anything. Plus, if you're moving your stuff, move every single thing possible. Don't throw away or sell or give away anything. It'll make your life much easier here, less shopping to do, plus you can make several people here happy by giving away your unwanted junk!

Well thats it for me folks. We moved, we're getting adjusted, and are mostly happy. I'll start a blog with more mundane stuff / some creative writing sometime soon, check back if you're interested. And, keep in touch - we'll do the same!


P.S: Welcome Anjali, I hope you read this someday :D

4 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your travels, travails and tales. You made it interesting reading taking your readers on the journey with you. Eagerly,Looking for a "Back to the US" blog next ;-)

Anjali is going to have this as compulsory reading :-))

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got this link from my husband's friend's wife. It is refreshing to read a down-to-earth account of all that's involved in the RTI experience. As a family considering the move to India (although still stuck in the X+1 conundrum), we have read your blogs with great interest. Looking forward to your next blog. :-)

 
At 3:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paddy:
We followed your blog with great interest. It was very informative and humorous. I hope you keep posting your observations..

-Cheers from Motown

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss having you guys across from us on Southbridge Way! Things change quickly at work. But if I have a chance to visit my team in Bangalore, I will have to see you, Depak and the kids.

Big/Tai/Lilla/Will.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home